When gas builds up in the stomach and intestines, your stomach swells and feels uncomfortably full. Bloating can be caused by constipation, overeating, menopause, PMS, irritable bowel syndrome, smoking, and peptic ulcers. In addition to being uncomfortable and unattractive, it causes belching, flatulence, cramps, shortness of breath, lower back pain, and even diarrhea.
You can prevent bloating and everything that comes with it by making simple changes to your diet and lifestyle, and you can cure it right now using the home remedies listed below. Try them all until you find the one that works best for you.
Ginger is a carminative which means it relieves the pressure of bloating by helping gas pass through the digestive system. It also thins the blood to improve circulation. It contains gingerols, which act as pain relievers and shogaols, which soothe and relax the intestinal muscles.
Method 1 :
– Peel and slice a piece of fresh ginger root.
– In a cup, mix the slices with lemon juice and honey.
– Pour in hot water and let steep 10 minutes.
– Drink regularly before and after meals.
Method 2 :
– Peel and grate a piece of fresh ginger root.
– Eat 1 teaspoon any time you need instant relief from bloating.
– Use it in your cooking.
2. Caraway Seeds
Caraway seeds have a carminative property, which helps to prevent the buildup of gas by aiding in quick expulsion. Caraway seeds also have antimicrobial properties, so they eliminate bad bacteria that cause gas, allowing good bacteria to thrive and promote proper digestion.
– Chew a pinch of caraway seeds several times a day to relieve bloating.
– If you don’t like the seeds, try caraway seed crackers.
Method 2 :
– Crush 2 teaspoons of caraway seeds and put them in a cup.
– Add hot water and let steep 10 minutes.
– Drink regularly.
Fennel contains volatile oils which prevent gas and act as an anti-spasmodic, helping trapped gas pass easily through the system.
– Crush 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds and put them in a cup.
– Add honey and hot water and let steep 10 minutes.
– Drink regularly.
– Note: You can also simply chew a teaspoon of fennel seeds.
Peppermint contains menthol oil, which acts as an antispasmodic, relaxing the digestive tract and aiding in the passage of food and air. It also helps absorb iron from food.
– Pick and wash fresh peppermint leaves.
– Let them dry in the sun and mince them.
– Put them in a cup, add honey and sugar, pour in hot water.
– Let steep 15-20 minutes.
– Drink 1-2 times daily.
– Note: you can also get peppermint tea bags.
5. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile relaxes the digestive system, and it contains anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties which relieve gas and bloating as well as heartburn, menstrual cramps, and joint pain.
– Put 2 tablespoons of chamomile in a cup.
– Add boiling water and steep 15 minutes.
– Strain, add honey and lemon, and drink.
– Consume 2-4 times daily between meals.
– Note: You can also use a chamomile tea bag.
Dandelion tea is a natural diuretic and laxative which helps to regulate the digestive system and relieve gas and bloating.
– Put 1 teaspoon dried dandelion leaves in a cup.
-Add boiling water and steep 3-5 minutes.
– Add lemon and honey.
– Drink regularly to relieve bloating.
7. Anise Seeds
Anise has antimicrobial and carminative properties which help to expel gasses that build up in your intestinal tract. As an anti-spasmodic, it relaxes muscles and allows for smoother digestion.
– Eat a teaspoon of anise seeds, chewing thoroughly.
– Or, add anise seeds to your cooking.
8. Warm Lemon Water
Lemon is rich in vitamin B and C, riboflavin, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and proteins. It stimulates the production of hydrochloric acid, which helps the body break down food more efficiently. Water flushes out the toxins in your system. In combination, lemon and water help the liver work better. (Read: 26 Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water)
– Add fresh-squeezed lemon juice to a glass of hot water until the water is cloudy.
– Stir it well and drink this on empty stomach in the morning.
– Drink regularly to get rid of bloating.
Spicy foods and foods high in fiber and fat take longer to digest, and as natural bacteria in the large intestine break them down, in this process gas is produced and it causes bloating. The vitamin A in pumpkin prevents all that by promoting proper digestion.
– Take a cup of pumpkin and eat it regularly by baking or streaming or broiling or find a pumpkin recipe you like and eat it regularly.
Exercise is one of the most effective ways to prevent gas, as it helps the body and digestive system function properly. (Read: 5 Best Exercises For Weight Loss)
– Find a workout you love and do it regularly.
– It can be anything, from walking to swimming to taking dance classes.
– While exercising breathe in through nose and breathe out through mouth for best results.
– If you’re stuck in the office, get up and walk around frequently.
– Try taking stairs instead of elevators.
Massaging your stomach and lower abdomen helps to built-up gas pass through you digestive system to relieve the pressure of bloating.
– Lie flat on your back and use your fingers to massage your stomach in circular motions.
– Massage for 15 minutes or until the bloating subsides.
– Note: you can do this standing up, but don’t do it in a sitting position as this traps gas in the digestive system.
12. Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal is oxidized with hot steam or air which makes it very porous. Its pores trap chemicals and other bacteria that cause gas and bloating. Activated charcoal is available in tablet and capsule form. Consult a doctor or label for recommended dosage and take it whenever you need relief from bloating.
Probiotics keep your digestive system healthy. Regularly eating foods like yogurt, kefir, kimchi, or sauerkraut will ensure that you get plenty of them in your diet.
14. Diet Plan
– Foods rich in magnesium reduce fluid retention. Eat plenty of leafy greens and nuts.
– Avoid fast food, processed foods, and other foods that are fatty, spicy, sugary, fried, or salty.
– Peaches, prunes, oats, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, apples, lentils, cabbage, corn, dairy products, and whole grains cause bloating and gas. Try to avoid them.
– Potassium helps regulate the body’s fluid levels. Eat plenty of bananas, mangoes, mushrooms, and tomatoes.
(Read: How to detox in 3 days)
Tips for Preventing Gas and Bloating
1- Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins and impurities that cause bloating.
2- Avoid salty, sugary, carbonated beverages.
3- Drink fruit juices, soups, and herbal teas with cove, cardamom, and mint.
4- Eat slowly and chew thoroughly to avoid swallowing air.
5- Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day.
6- Reduce stress through physical activities like yoga.
7- Quit smoking.
8- Avoid salt as it encourages water retention.
9- Eat fewer carbohydrates and starches. These also promote water retention.
10- Don’t use straws or chew gum. Both of these lead to the consumption of air.
11- Don’t talk while chewing.
12- Add 1 tablespoon turmeric powder to hot water, let steep 3 minutes, and drink.
13- Mix lemon juice with baking soda to make a paste, dissolve it in water, and drink to get relief.
14- While uncomfortable, bloating is generally harmless. However, if your condition is chronic, consult with your doctor.
- 10 Best Foods For a Flat Belly
- 5 Simple Steps to Lose 20 Pounds
- Is colon cleansing good for you ?
- 5 Tips For Increase Your Metabolism
- 10 Benefits Of Lemon Detox Water
- 20 metabolism boosting foods